The BMNSA offers a 'Skills Development Program' for kids 3 years to 16 years old. Our Coaches are certified through the 'National Coaching Certification Program' (NCCP), in association with 'Cross Country BC' & 'Nordiq Canada'.
Athlete and coach development follows Sport Canada's 'Long Term Athlete Development' (LTAD) model. LTAD focuses on the general framework of athlete development with special reference to growth, maturation and development, trainability, and sport system alignment and integration. LTAD is an inclusive model that encourages individuals to get involved in lifelong physical activity - "SKI FOR LIFE"
The focus of the program is to provide the kids with a healthy, fun and safe social experience while teaching them the basic techniques of CLASSIC and SKATE skiing. As our program continues to grow we will host our own races and have the kids attend regional races to encourage sportsmanship and competition.
- The program runs from January to the middle of March on Saturdays from 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm (10 sessions).
- Children must be registered in the Skill Development Program ($50) AND be members of the club ($65) to participate. Equipment (skis, boots, poles) is provided to youth registered in the program, as available. Kids are encouraged to buy their own equipment as they progress through the program and advance in their skill level.
- Each class is carefully structured consisting of a warm-up, skill development, games and tour/practice on the trail systems. The philosophy of the program is built upon sportsmanship, respect, fitness/health and environmental stewardship.
Bunnies (ages 3-5)
- Saturdays 1:30-2:30pm.
- This program is designed to develop fundamental movement skills with a focus on balance and agility, coordination, self-confidence, imagination and social skills. It encourages children to be active, grow to skillfully control their bodies, and develop an awareness and appreciation of our natural environment.
*Note- parents of kids aged 3 and 4 are asked to stay and help their child during the lesson.
Jackrabbits (ages 6-8)
- Saturdays 1:30-3:30pm.
- This program aims to help children learn basic cross-country ski skills (of both classic and skate skiing, depending on equipment) and to instil a lifelong interest in the sport. The program is designed to develop FUNdamental movement skills, build overall motor skills, confidence and social skills, and encourage fun participation.
Track Attack (ages 9-12)
- Saturdays 1:30-3:30pm.
- The focus of the Track Attack program is to help participants become technically competent cross country skiers, in both classic and skate techniques, and use their skills to explore a wide range of ski activities.
* currently we are able to accomodate older skiers (up to age 16) with the Track Attack group, depending on equipment availability